Tracking down Richmond’s History
Pt. Richmond Museum
This small museum has been saved, archived and run by volunteers of the Pt. Richmond History Association. Follow the story of how Pt. Richmond, once an island, became a part of Richmond where it is a neighborhood today. The Museum ‘s mission is to promote awareness of the colorful history of Pt. Richmond, which remains a quaint, yet trending place to visit. 139 ½ Washington Ave in Pt. Richmond.
Open: Th & Sa 11:30am – 2pm.
Golden State Model Railroad Museum
Built in 1933, the Golden State Model Railroad Museum is one of the oldest model railroad museums in the U.S.! Starting out in Oakland at Santa Fe Railroad’s warehouse, it moved to Richmond in 1985 when the East Bay Model Engineers Society established the Golden State Model Railroad Museum as an organization and leased the building in Miller Knox Park from East Bay Regional Parks. With 10,000 sq ft and a 200 ft walkway, you can view the N-scale (1’ = 1/16th) moving through California’s Donner Pass (Lake Tahoe, the Tehachapi Loop (Tehachapi Mountains in SoCal) and Elvas Wye (near Sacramento). The O (1’= 1/4”) scale train moves through the harbor and city of Pt. Richmond and the HO scale (1’ = 1/8”) moves through various cities in northern CA.
Open: Apr. – Dec.: W 12-4pm, Sa/Su (Su is the day the trains are operating) 12-5pm 900A Dornan Dr 510-234-4884
Richmond Museum of History
A little known jewel, the Richmond Museum of History has a significant collection of East Bay history housed in a Carnegie Library built in 1910. Included in its permanent collection: Spanish/Mexican period, early American/Industrialist period, WWII Home Front, Post WWII & today. It also has a space for temporary exhibits and special events. Its archives include a vast collection of maps, 4000 photos of local people and places, Kaiser Richmond Shipyard newsletters, Chevron/Standard Oil’s newsletters, exclusive newspaper clippings organized by subject, archaeological collections recovered from Brooks Island and the Richmond Chinese Shrimping Village and lots more.
Open: W-Su 1-4p 400 Nevin Ave. 94801 510.235.7387
SS Red Oak Victory
The SS Red Oak Victory is the 558th ship built and the last surviving ship built in the Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond. Owned by the Richmond Museum of History, the SS Red Oak Victory remains a monument to the men and women who worked in war related industries as part of the World War II Home Front. When the SS Red Oak Victory returned to Richmond in the 1990s, it had to be restored and now the ship is in much better shape and open as a museum and event venue. A unique venue to host an event on the water, it’s a ship that Rosie built! Amenities include a dance floor, theatre, museum and full galley (kitchen).
Open: Tu, Th, Sa, Su 10am-3pm. 1337 Canal Blvd. 94804 510-237-2933